View Single Post
I'm also seeing this whole debate as a problem with the definition of Project.

Sounds like most people are defining Project as: the group of actions that, when taken all together, meet a definite goal. Examples: Prepare 2008 budget, Vacation to Hawaii, etc.

But, what if we re-define Project to: a group of items that have a reason to be classified together. Goal isn't necessarily part of the definition. Examples: House Cleaning (a group of repeating single actions), Daughter (single tasks I need to do for/with my daughter), Subaru (a standing project, sometimes empty, with actions I need to take regarding my car).

Actions for the second group are often very different in how we enter them from actions in the first group. With the first, an action might be: figure out what format the President wants the numbers in this year (this would probably be an action group, with more planning needed). The second: Call dealer for appointment to fix the seat adjuster.

We need the Inbox to hold ideas for group 1 actions, but we also need a quick and dirty way to get group 2 items where they belong.

We also need to realize that different people have different proportions of items in each group. I live in Group 2, with a very occasional Group 1. Other people are the opposite. OF handles my Group 2 actions well, but it needs to make the Group 1 folk happy without complicating group 2 stuff.

--Liz