View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
It's interesting to hear how other people use their software. Unless something odd happens, I launch OW about once per SP release. Most of my apps get launched about once per month or two.
I just counted the icons in my dock: 43. Every single one gets used daily, and I'm not exaggerating. I have a 12" screen and the tiny icon size drives me nuts, so every now and then I desperately go over the list in an attempt to remove items/get bigger icon size. There are also a ton of other apps I use once a week or so that I usually launch via spotlight (or quicksilver when I was running panther).

If I took your approach, I'd have an insane number of applications open at once, and that would mean I'd also have an insane number of icons in the command-tab panel, which is my primary method of switching apps. While working on some projects I switch apps extremely often (can be every two or three seconds), so I can't really have any more than 4 or 5 apps available without taking a huge productivity hit. I wish there was a cmd-tab tool that didn't show hidden apps, that'd be sweet!

So, while I certainly have enough ram to keep at least the general tools like web browsers open permanently, I rarely leave anything open.