View Single Post
I had a great email exchange with some Omnifolk a couple of years ago when I laid out this same brief. It was all very positive and I think they do listen . . . not least because OmniSchedule (or multi-project capable OP) would not be a me-too product: it would be a product with no competition and therefore a commercial opportunity. Project Planning has been a category of software since at least 1984 (remember MacProject) and probably earlier on other platforms. And businesses tend to organise themselves by category of product; they find it very hard to embrace or justify stuff that seems new - typically, someone gets sent out to assess the size of the potential and that person starts with similar products. But similar is misleading (PCs and Macs do the same thing, but they are hugely different); it would be better to assess the numbers and types of business that could use this capability.
Years ago I wrote a book for designers - the prospective publisher told me the market was too small. He needed 6k copies to justify production and he didn't believe he could sell that many. I suggested that I sell some and asked how many he would need me to sell; he said at least 1k copies. The next day, I went to a graphics retailer and showed them the dummy and committed to using their products in the book if they would order the required 1k . . . and they agreed. Now, many years later, it has sold over 48k copies! On this note, I reckon I could sell at least 300 copies of 'OmniSchedule' here in London without any effort at all . . . and that's just a few of the design companies, never mind the architects, consultants, rentals companies etc etc!