View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
The problem with that approach, though, is that you can arrive at the end of a month--or a year--or a lifetime--and find that you have accomplished what others wanted you to do but not what you thought was most important.
You're completely missing my point. If you do what is urgent, then what you describe is what would happen. If you do what is important, then it won't.

My personal life-goal priorities don't change moment to moment, so I'm not afflicted with this problem. I decide, right now, what is important and do it. What is important is what I decide, not what others decide for me.

I review my overall goals quite frequently (what David Allen would call the high-altitude or 50,000 ft. view), but I use this to determine what my goals are so that I can use that knowledge to inform my day to day decisions about what is important. I don't decide today what specific action will be the highest priority next Tuesday because doing so only locks me into a course of action that may not actually serve my goals in the moment. Understanding your goals, and knowing what they are is important, but you use that guide you in the moment so that when you decide today what to do you make the decision that ultimately leads you to where you want to go.

Last edited by MEP; 2007-07-15 at 03:31 PM..