View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
In OF try right-clicking the action group and choosing "parallel". You might also be interested in these threads (1, 2, 3, 4) discussing eliminating the distinction between projects and action groups. There are many other threads along similar lines. You aren't alone in wishing for a more regular structure, but neither are those who like the current variety of grouping mechanisms.

I'm somewhat surprised that you've been using the product for weeks and didn't come across how to make an action group parallel. What could be changed to make this more obvious? Is it that changing the parallel status of projects is "in your face" while for action groups it is unexpectedly more subtle? Or is it a problem with lack of documentation? Without a manual yet, I find that reading the forums regularly is very helpful to me in understanding how the product works and different ways of using it.
Sounds like action groups are a little "half baked" at the moment (and maybe singleton tasks too) -- i.e. sources of confusion for many. My hope is that this "variety of grouping mechanisms" could be unified into attributes of just one or two as they are not that different from each other, but I'm sure there are many tricky issues, and there is an art to knowing when to ship version 1.0.

Needless to say, my take on programs like this is that the manual should be unnecessary, so I'd say this is not a documentation problem.

As for not discovering parallel/non-parallel under the action group right mouse button menu -- my MacBook has one mouse button. My original 128k Mac had one mouse button. Gosh darnit, Mac programs shouldn't require you to "option click" on stuff to find out if they do anything interesting. ;-) I do appreciate your pointing it out!

As for not using Life Balance any longer, my answer is similar to Brian's. The simplicity of the outline structure is elegant but the desktop version has a simplistic UI that makes it hard to do things like weekly reviews or manage larger outlines. I stopped carrying a PDA, so the product lost its luster.