View Single Post
Hi Folks!
Some feedback on the new badge count feature:

From the 1.0.3 release notes thread:
-------
I just realized I forgot to document one of the changes in 1.0.3: the badge now counts the total number of overdue and due soon actions, rather than showing either the overdue count or the due soon count (without any indication of which it was showing).
-------

This new feature caused a lot of confusion with me this morning. I think it is counter-intuitive in several ways:
- overdue and due soon items are separated in OF in all other views, in the iPhone version as well as the desktop version
- the red color is used only for overdue items in all other views, in the iPhone version as well as the desktop version
- The unusually high number of red (for me: Screaming) items cannot be found in the OF lists. The icons badge count and the list information inside OF do not correspond.
- Furthermore it can look quite depressing (at least for me) ;-)

IMHO the older approach of showing overdue items number first and showing due soon only when there are no overdue items was much better:
- it produced a useful priorization
- it provided more insight in the most important tasks right now instead of showing a big blob of many items to do, thus focusing on the core items

I'd recommend using the previous way of visualizing badge counts with one change:
- badge count on the icon is orange instead of red when due soon items are shown

This would dissolve the issue of unclear badge counts (overdue and due soon both shown in red) and make for a more focused and clear information for the user.

Alternatively if there are other reasons and/or the majority of users likes to have the totalled badge count please please please do not use red but a different color to visualize the badge.

The bottom line is:
Yesterday the badge count on the OF icon showed how much pressing things are left today.
Now the badge count on the OF icon tells me nothing but the fact that i have a lot of work to do (which is much less information for me, as well as frustrating. :-D ).

I hope there are others that have similar thoughts.
Best regards
Silvan