View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by defilmj View Post
Hence this process breaks David Allens royal rule, to those that read the book... Every automated/electronic system he reviewed took more effort to maintain than the manual system he devises and describes in the book.
It is true. I find myself spending more time quickly jotting down thoughts on a IPHONE?? With that keyboard???? NOT! Do it from the keyboard, sure.
THen I have to file them by project, and set their contexts.
I type a whole lot faster than I write legibly. I see the iPhone as an extension of the context view, not the project view -- do most data entry or planning at the real keyboard (project view), and execute from the iPhone (context view). Seems like a hybrid of your existing note-taking on cards + capture at a real keyboard would be better than pecking away at the iPhone.

I'm not sure which "Royal rule" you're referring to, as I find references to digital organizers, etc. sprinkled about the book, including admissions that the author uses them. What he seems to dismiss as unhelpful for his purposes are project planning programs, and there I would agree with his assertion that most of the packages are way more complex and powerful than most people need to organize their tasks.

Quote:
I purchased this MBP and Iphone3G plus the broadband adapter and $60/mo plan to run OF on MBP and Iphone, and it turns out once again it can't beat my paper system. Reporting? Yes on the MBP with views and perspectives indeed! But not on the Iphone, as they don't exist.

What I thought was a simple problem with contexts turned out to doom OF for me. I am not a apple fan, so that is $4500 down the drain. :(
And I've got a big stack of 3x5 cards that I don't use. Would you like to trade? No reason why we should both be unhappy with our purchases. I'll even throw in a handful of ballpoint pens and Post-It(tm) pads :-)