View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You can drag and drop actions from OmniFocus into another application (TextEdit, for example) and make a little list of what you are going to work on. Those items in the list will be links to the OmniFocus actions, so you can just click on them to open OmniFocus to that action and check it off when you've completed one (then close or hide OF before you get distracted!)
Dr. Palmer, you make an interesting suggestion. I'm impressed with how you always mention a feature that might be potentially useful. Clearly you know OF well. That's why I joust with you. I'm hoping I might learn something.

I perceive Jem's point to be that he's lost in the features, that he loses his trajectory and gets far afield in his navigation from what he was trying to do. Would you agree that his point is yet another indirect allusion to the fact that, while OF is feature-rich, it lacks at the Perspective level the capability for using Perspectives in an integrated, cyclically repeatable way?

Instead, one gets tangled in application features. One actually loses perspective (lower case "p") and becomes confused by the myriad potential alternative navigational paths, and trying to figure which would be most appropriate for getting things done.

I think that, though OF may possess just about all that it needs to be a "trusted system" for capturing what one needs to GTD, its current inability to manage workflow in a definable and cyclically repeatable way (together with its lack of reporting capabilities) allow the user to get easily lost in the features. This tendency is built in, I believe, given the application's lack such meta-level management capabilities.

Getting "lost", ie., losing one's presence of mind as to one's intentions, because of the complexity of feature combinations, coupled with lack of documentation of many of them, undercuts OF's capabilities as a "trusted system" of record.

But I'm not trying either to "slam" OF nor to be provocative. On the contrary. I'd suggest that, if any software publisher could produce GTD software with flexible capabilities for user definition of GTD-process-navigation, it would be Omnigroup.

What do you think?