View Single Post
As another switcher, welcome to the Land of OmniFocus! I recognize your forum handle from my time over in the CC forums.

OF isn't really all that different from Things (IMO), you just have to set it up manually to do what Things does from the start.

Folders work great as Areas. What gives them even more power is that you can nest them, for example I have two main folders, "Work" and "Personal." Inside "Work" I have folders for each class I teach and my work "areas" e.g. "English Projects" Site Projects," "Miscellaneous Projects," and "Future Projects, and in "Personal" I have folders for "Home Projects," "Scheduled Projects, and "Future Projects." What is nice about this approach is that I set up "Personal" and a "Work" perspectives that focus on the top-level folder for each.

As for Projects, they are pretty much the same as they are in Things. In OF, you can set up the actions of a project to be sequential or parallel, and OF will manage them for you. Also, OF allows you to set up a project as a "Single Action List" which I use as a home to all my single tasks that don't have a project; for example I have a "Home Actions" Single Action List that i dump all the miscellaneous tasks I have at home, such as errands like "Renew Drivers License" or "Pay dental bill."

Contexts in OF are almost exactly the same as Tags in Things, but you can only assign one context to a project. One thing that I initally did not like about OF was that it made me feel limited only using one Context. BUT after actually USING the program, I found that I only needed one Context if I was recording the tasks and projects using necessary details. For example, the task "renew drivers license" could easily have a zillion Tags, like "Car," "Errand," "Mail" "Weekend," etc. But recording the task as "Mail drivers license renewal form" in my "Home Actions" SAL tells me this is something to do at or near home, and giving it a context as "Errand" is all I really need.