View Single Post
@wilsonng - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll look into the sources you've provided but right now I'm a bit hesitant to read more books that are supposed to show me how everything should be done. I'm sort of trying to avoid this becoming an endless reading task (where I put things off until I feel like I've formed enough information) and instead just dive right in. Hence, the request for some general use tips and feedback. Thank you again for the information.

@lizard - Ya know, I guess that's what I get for not reading enough of the manual. I completely missed that you could turn projects into single action lists and nest them under a folder! That's exactly the feature I was looking for, thank you for pointing this out to me.

I also appreciate the feedback regarding contexts. I have the workout classes scheduled out with dates but I hadn't thought of creating a separate "Calendar Event" context (if that's what your suggesting). That might be the way to go.

I'm still having a bit of an internal struggle regarding my project distribution and structure. I'm probably over-thinking it a bit but I desperately want to get things dialed in "perfectly" so I have a smooth start to the process. I do like the idea of a monthly review and figuring out what does and does not work.

Some of the items I'm struggling right now deal with categorization of certain tasks/projects. For example, I have a goal to work on some personal game dev projects. Part of me feels that this should just go under a "personal" folder that encompasses all of the things that I, myself want to do or accomplish. However another part of me feels that maybe it doesn't make sense to mix things like this with other personal passions like general hobbies (gaming, photography, etc). The same could be said for another project I have about "Learning the Guitar". These currently feel more like work that I need to do, time I need to put in, before I can accomplish anything. Of course it is interesting to step back and question "If you don't consider these hobbies, then why are they important to you?" I've wondered about maybe just creating a "Goals" folder and shuffling all of the things I'd like to accomplish there while keeping the personal folder specific only to my "hobbies", however I tend to notice that lots of these bleed over onto one another (Photography is a hobby of mine, but I have a goal to get better with Lightroom. Gaming is a passion of mine, but I have a goal to play certain games for design research in my career. There are articles and books I'd like to read for entertainment and articles and books I need to read for work, continuing education) I'm curious how others have handled things when your projects blend between multiple areas of focus. Perhaps it would be better to start a different thread specific to this question...