View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
@wilsonng - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll look into the sources you've provided but right now I'm a bit hesitant to read more books that are supposed to show me how everything should be done. I'm sort of trying to avoid this becoming an endless reading task (where I put things off until I feel like I've formed enough information) and instead just dive right in. Hence, the request for some general use tips and feedback. Thank you again for the information.
You're welcome. But let me share my experience. I had to search the web high and low for OmniFocus tips and tricks. I spent a lot of time looking for this stuff. I would scour these OmniFocus forums, ask questions, gather up more intel. This is what I call "endless reading."

These books will definitely save you time. They're very easy to read and everything flows smoothly. You'll see some examples of real world workflows. From those examples, you'll be able to create your own workflow. You will see a lot of different forum posts about different parts of OmniFocus. You'll see a lot of blogs that have many unique articles. But it takes time and sometimes "thinking outside of the box" to tie all the pieces together.

These books will start putting everything together so that you can see how all the parts fit into the whole picture. You don't have to finish reading the books. Just go along with the book and you'll be able to fine-tune your setup.

I wished that I had read these books earlier. They would've saved me a lot of time and effort. I read Creating Flow with OmniFocus in a couple of days and was able to get almost instant results. I also read the Asian Efficiency OmniFocus eBook and was able to adjust my OmniFocus workflow even more.

If you're looking for "general use tips and feedback", it's all right there in the ebooks. Otherwise, happy hunting when you have to perform some Google Fu and spend hours with an endless reading task searching for tips in the forums and on the blog sites.

As DrJJWMac stated, it will take you a few months to finally figure out your workflow. It's impossible to just ask for general feedback and expect OmniFocus to click and hum like a jet... You'll eventually experiment with different workflows and then you'll find your own setup. Why not see what other people have written about already and try them out?

I'm here on the forums because I'm just giving back to the community. Pay it forward.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2013-01-15 at 12:26 AM..