View Single Post
I'm sorry, jakeg, I really disagree. I think "On Hold" projects and single-action lists are ideal for all of the cases you mentioned, and I think that's exactly how Omni Group intended them to be used. If "On Hold" doesn't fit the description of someday/maybe items, or really anything that's not currently actionable, then what does?

I usually start off with a simple idea, often a single line of text, that I store on my someday/maybe single-action list (SAL). The list is on hold so it doesn't appear among by actionable items unless I want to see it.

When the item matures to more than just an idea and I'm ready to flesh it out a bit more, or I think I might start working on it soon, I just drag it out of the SAL onto the sidebar to turn it into a project. If I'm not ready to start work on it immediately, I place the new project on hold.

The project then sits on hold as I plan it out, add actions, and think about it some more, sometimes for months. In fact, I see no reason it couldn't sit there as an on hold project with partially-defined action for years. Sometimes, I'll make the project active, work on it a bit, and the put it on hold again as other things come up and my priorities shift.

Do whatever works best for you, but you'll be missing out if you don't take full advantage of the on hold state.

If you're concerned about organization of your on hold projects, why not create a separate folder for them? Actually, you could even set the folder as "Dropped" so it doesn't show up in the sidebar until you want. In fact, if the folder is marked as dropped, you don't even need to put the projects on hold because anything placed in the dropped folder will be hidden.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-05-11 at 07:47 AM..