View Single Post
ah that's why that works that way...
Action groups caused me much confusion yesterday.

I had an action X I needed to work on, that was due "today". A few sub-actions that needed to happen as part of X occurred to me, so I created and "indented" them, which changed X into an action group. I completed and checked off those sub-actions, which left X now an empty action group. But in fact it still represented an action I had yet to complete (also now without a context?)

The problem now was however, despite having a due date of "today" next to it, it no longer appears in any of my context perspectives showing actions due today (because it's no longer an action?)

Less surprising behavior might have been for either the action group to revert to an action once its child actions were completed, or for empty action groups to show up in lists of due/remaining actions.

I suppose the expected user behavior was for me instead to have added the "sub-actions" above action X, to be completed first, instead of "inside" action X? The "indenting sub-items" mindset came from OmniOutliner being my prev gtd tool I'm sure. Any suggestions for how I might better handle action hierarchies?