Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
1. You could establish hierarchical contexts like this:

- Shopping
-- Mall B
-- Malls with Tech Equipment
--- Mall A
--- Mall C

Your Buy DVD Blanks would go in "Malls with Tech Equipment".
I could not get this to work - selecting "Mall A" when I am about to going there would not show any Actions in "Malls with Tech Equipment", so I'd miss out on those. I fear that due to the nature of the requirement, i.e. the identical task showing up in (at least) two different contexts, I start to believe there's no hierarchical way of organizing contexts to achieve my goal or, at least, achieving it in a general fashion.

But based on your idea I found out that you can get there with Perspectives: Create one for each mall, and e.g. for mall A, you create it so that it includes contexts "mall A" and "mall A+B" in context view. So for my DVD blanks Action, I'd use context "mall A+B", and when selecting the mall A perspective, I'd see all what I can do at mall A (regardless if I can do it at mall A only or at mall A as well).

I used a simple example to outline my understanding problem - most probably, such a use of contexts for errands is overkill. But nevertheless, I am still a bit puzzled to see that the basic system (i.e. without the use of perspectives) cannot handle real-world requirements easily.

As you hinted, my use case could surely be solved with the use of meta data items and "intelligent contexts" that are created/populated by a query on them. Well, for several of my use cases, I'll then have to stick out a little longer and wait for OF 2.0 if that will bring me that feature.

Regarding the competition: I looked there. However, OF seems to be the only one with (albeit a poor man's implementation of) reminders via due times, not just the dates, in conjunction with Growl, which are essential to the way I work and to the tasks I have to do.

Thanks,
Christian