View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
Buy more memory? How much do you have? I would guess that 1.5GB should be pretty normal for most use. Definitely more than the "minimums" of 512MB or so. And more for G5s even than G4 systems (no idea what MacIntel but suspect that Rosetta likes to have plenty!).

I have 1.75GB and almost never see more than one swap file
I really don't think it is related. I have 1.5GB on my PowerBook and 2GB on the G5 at work. I was seeing huge swap files even though I had nothing open except for OW (and a few background processes that had never eaten so much memory).
I reported that really because I suspected OW was the main cause of the generation of these swapfiles. I should have checked the pageouts more carefully though. That's also something I never saw with the 5.1.x versions.

The generation of the swap files really depend on what apps you use and how much RAM they require. You say you never see more than one swap file with 1.75GB of RAM and I guess you are lucky. I just checked on my Mac and with all the apps I have open, I have 1GB worth of swap files despite the 2GB of RAM (but this time I have a fair number of apps open). The problem is also that Tiger is really bad at releasing swap files (for some reason, 10.3 was much better at it - they must ahve their reasons), so that's also to be taken in consideration... Difficult issue to assess.

With OW 5.5sp7, I haven't yet seen the boot volume eaten up with swap files. It looks like this problem is much better under control now :)