View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodiebrad View Post
I was not aware of this. I thought the whole "4 second video" was being presented as a beta or even gm product. You guys said it would launch in June 2010, and it is now July 3, so i think that was a safe assumption to make.

Going forward, I highly advise not releasing anything to the public that isn't polished from a graphic design perspective. In this age of iOS, the public not only demands functionality but a slick UI for their $20 or $40 or whatever.

If i worked at Omnifocus, i would quickly release a still mockup of what the finished product might look like. We don't care so much about videos, we know how the iPad works. We want to see nice mockup, with graphics, and icons, not some 4 second mess of a video (no offense, but that video was a mess).

Well, I'll reserve judgement, and give you guys the benefit of the doubt, because i love your iPhone and iMac versions.
OmniGroup generally makes it very clear what it is that they're posting. I was one of those not particularly liking the UI they showed on that video, but if you follow the thread from the start (I know, lots of reading), you'll see that the OmniGroup is very responsive to users and actually did make it clear that it was only an early mockup. In fact, one of the reasons that OF iPad seems to be delayed, if I read the official info correctly, is precisely because they are working on UI... which also explains why they can't/won't release a new mockup.
Sure, it takes some time to follow the different communications from Omni as they use their blog, Twitter, and the forums to communicate: but it means that they actually do communicate with users lots, and they're as transparent as can be. If you're ever in doubt about anything, they make it very, very easy to contact them (email and phone) directly, and I've always found them to be amazingly responsive.
I understand that it might have sounded like they were going to release the product in June, but in fact what they did say was that they were aiming at a June release, which isn't quite the same thing.
I personally value the openness of OG regarding their products, and I've found them over the year to be very good at improving them, including by changing some of the original elements. Which is why I personally think it's still a very good thing that they release even crappy 4-secs videos of unpolished stuff. I trust them enough to know that the finished product will become much more polished in a reasonable amount of time.
In the same vein, my personal opinion is that I don't really care about seeing other mockups at this point, I'm just impatient (but reasonably so) to see the actual product on the iPad. And I'm willing to wait in order to NOT get a compromise on quality–I already shelled out probably as much money as I will end up paying for OF iPad on individual to-do apps on the iPad, which all look very slick, and which I keep opening once in a while just to remind myself how beautiful they look, because I do not use any of them otherwise.