View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknBlogger View Post

I'm sure there's more that I'm not 'seeing' right now. But beyond folders, projects and contexts I'm not sure I understand how to cross reference everything. For example; Right now I have an assignment with 3 tasks that are due to get done by Saturday. But when I click on inbox I don't see anything and I don't understand why. I thought that if you have upcoming tasks you would see them in the inbox.
No, the inbox is where things go prior to being filed into projects.
Quote:
I would also like to be able to see what's coming up in the next 2 weeks. I did figure out how to sync with iCal but it doesn't show anything past today so I have to assume it won't show sync the task until the date that I set as 'due'.
First of all, when OmniFocus syncs something into iCal, it puts it in as a task, not as a calendar appointment. You have to view the task section of iCal. Assuming you are doing that, there's also a preference in iCal to not show tasks that are outside of the scope of the dates being displayed. If you have that set, you aren't going to see much if you are just looking at today on the calendar! If you have a task with a due date in OmniFocus, and it is in a context being synced to iCal, it should be synced over to iCal regardless of how far in the future it is.

A bit of history: the iCal stuff is there as a remnant from when it was the only way to get information onto a mobile device from OmniFocus (in other words, it predates OmniFocus for iPhone). There are people who valiantly try to use it to see how busy they are at some point in time, but that strikes me as being similar to pounding nails with the handle of a screwdriver.

Have a look at the Due perspective to see what is coming up. Change the Status Filter from Due Soon to Any Status if you want to see more than a few days out (Due Soon will only show you items due up to your Due Soon setting in the future, which has a maximum value of 7 days). Might want to add the Due Date column to see exactly when things are due.

Quote:
I don't know I'm think GTD and Omnifocus may not be for me for school.
You aren't expecting to have lots of tasks you need to get done on time? :-)