View Single Post
I initially created 20k' and up folders in OF, and used an outline format. It works, but they're not actionable; really just reference (20k' + can spawn projects, however), which can get in the way when you're engaged in doing. However one can set a future start date, place on hold, etc., and use filtering to keep the higher elevation stuff out of your vision (as well as made visible when you want to see it). I've since moved 20k'+ to OmniOutliner. Whether you keep 20k'+ in OF or any other app (even a text document) is, IMHO, far less important than how you interact with those higher levels, and how that interaction will influence your 10k' and runway.

I tried to create direct correlations between projects and single actions with the higher horizons, as well as between items in the higher level horizons, but from my experience and clarified understanding ("Making It All Work" is a good read), GTD isn't designed to work that way. You kind of shift your mind set when looking at 20k'+. That's not to say that projects and actions don't support higher level horizons, and that higher level horizons don't affect 10k' and runway -- there certainly should be alignment through the horizons, but it's pretty spider-webby (many relationships that could be drawn), and a lot of moving targets that maybe are best congealed in one's mind during higher level reviews, and then the results may affect your 10k' and runway.

Just my 2¢, I've been all over the board on this.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2011-02-26 at 02:23 PM..