View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I agree with many of the OP's points -- especially the lack of multiple tags. Could you imagine organizing a photo collection without tags? Or a large volume of notes in Evernote? OF is essentially a database for tasks -- why not implement tags for it? Seems like it would solve a lot of issues.
My experience with tagging photos for retrieval is that unless you spend a lot of time carefully choosing your tags and taxonomy, it's just a guessing game when it comes time to retrieve the images via tags. Otherwise, you have to slap on every tag imaginable, because there are many tags you would recognize as being the same, but the software will not. Possible tags for an image of a sailboat on a lake: boat, sailboat, sailing, <type of sailboat>, lake, <name of lake>, etc. You can't risk doing a retrieval on just one of those tags, because maybe the day you were tagging images you didn't put the tag you're using for retrieval on the image you want. So, for the cost of putting tags on everything, you get a retrieval system you can't really trust to retrieve all the relevant tasks. A heckuva deal, I'll take two! :-)

Now, I agree that for very focused use cases, rather than general purpose retrieval, having a tag facility could be handy. I've got this collection of tasks, and I want to mark all of them with a tag so that I can reassemble the collection at some point in the future. In this light, you could view the flag facility OmniFocus provides as a single tag.