View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkendrick View Post
@whpalmer4 - that worked great - thanks! The problem with the sorting was that I was in planning mode instead of context mode. I am a bit puzzled about why you cannot sort by complete date, even within a project. Since the option is there, I expected it to provide the same results it does in context mode. Am I just not understanding something about the intended purpose and difference in these two modes? The obvious difference is the project v. context lists in the sidebar, but is there something more? Thanks, John
The underlying reason is sequential projects and action groups ought to stay in the right order. If you want to permanently change the ordering, you can do that by selecting a bunch of actions (or projects) and using the Edit->Sort menu, which will rearrange the items as you specify. One way to think about the difference between this and changing the sort settings in the view bar is that the view bar settings are like the column headers in the Finder; if you sort the files a different way in one window, the contents of another window will not be affected. On the other hand, if you use Edit->Sort to reorder some items, those are actual changes made to your database, and if you're using multiple computers or an iPhone/iPod touch, those changes will be synced to the other clients. The overall expectation is that in planning or project mode, you're operating on projects, not individual actions, and so the sorting works on a project basis. In context mode, individual actions are the unit of interest, and the sorting takes them individually.