View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
Hm... I think you might want to avoid having Actions without Contexts. In the context of this application (sorry) "Context" indicates the indispensable setting in which an Action can be completed (Phone, Home, Computer, Internet, Grocery store, etc.). If you cannot think of the indispensable setting for the completing of a give Action, it will be difficult to bring yourself to do start and complete the Action.
I'd better have another item in options or in filter.

I'm happy for you if you always can and want to waste time to assigning contexts.

I have a project oriented action workflow and not contexts. I do things when they become yellow and red (time for action according to calendar) and not when context becomes available. I can do most of my actions at any given moment so I'm still priority and importance oriented and not place or way-of-doing oriented.

Most of my actions are work related and at work I have several contexts to do any action and I have 6 means to communicate, delegate and monitor almost everything. I usually don't know what will be the most appropriate way to assign the context time- and resource-wise before it is almost time for action. I wished my actions would be like do homework or buy ice cream - but they are not.

I find myself to never use contexts in OmniFocus when performing actions. Maybe that is because I'm used to another workflow in Excel spreadsheets which I used for ToDos for ages, maybe I'm not a fan of GTD, or maybe I don't like contexts of OF particularly. Because when I used Things I used contexts window (often multiple contexts).

On the other hand I have a lot of actions and projects - so I don't want to waste those seconds to assign contexts which are almost useless for me.

Much more important for me to hide projects (having no actions at all, no next actions or no available actions viewable in accordance to filter) as my tree is big.

Last edited by makesense; 2010-11-27 at 09:28 PM..