View Single Post
Thank you all very much for the input.

I think part of the problem in general at this point is that I'm sort of hitting a wall with GTD/OF as a whole and I'm a little uncertain how clear the hurdle. I'm not very trusting of my current project setup which in turn makes me not trust the system as a whole and creates anxiety around even opening it up or looking at it. Most of this seems to derive directly from my high level projects.

I guess the first issue relates to determining what my High Level Projects actually ARE and how they differ from the Someday/Maybe lists. In my head I'm not currently separating the two and really define these goals as things that I'd like to be taking actionable steps towards completing. However, focusing on all of them at once is causing me some stress obviously and not being able to properly delegate them in a functional manner within my own system/workflow causes even more.

Some of my "High Level Goals" are as follows...
Become a Better Designer
Learn C#
Learn Unity
Learn Guitar
Become a Better Photographer
Learn Adobe Lightroom
Become a Better Brewer
Get back into Creative Writing
Improve Math Skills

Some of these are pursuits of pleasure while others are personal enrichment goals that I want to tackle in hopes of just becoming a better, smarter individual.

Some of these are fairly easy to break down into next actions, but others not so much. Beyond that it's also difficult to really peg any of them as truly being "finished". Do you ever really finish learning something? How do you continue to make time for each of these tasks as you move forward? What happens if you shift focus from one to another (focusing on photography means any progress I've made with Guitar might be hindered).

Also, scheduling time begins to creep up as yet another concern. I just recently became a new father and time is very limited and precious. My current implementation of OF uses a "Free Time" context that I had set aside for all these different goals I had but jumping around from one to the other seems to be difficult.

Brian, your suggestion of focusing on one at a time certainly makes sense but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get this process worked into my OF system in a way that I feel confident about and lets me get back to trusting the system as a whole. The concern here is both, when do some of these projects get completed and what happens when I shift my focus away from one to another. Then there are things like Photography which sort of just pop up randomly. There are times when I just pick up a camera and start taking pictures unwarranted and then I'm left with several photos to edit but no real organization took place in line with my goals.