View Single Post
Hi everyone, just something that I realised today while struggling to re-awaken GTD and OF after a prolonged period of disuse: I thought this might be useful to others in the same predicament.

I had a lot of stuff in my inbox - basically I had stopped doing the whole GTD process, except (of course) for the collection part. Because you can't even live your life without collecting actions, and I was occasionally placing them in OF because I thought I would re-start GTD 'eventually'. There were 140 in there. I know - I'm bad!

So I finally got the mental focus required, tidied my office (especially the desk), and began the task of cleaning up the out-of-date mess in my old systems. OF was one of the first things I looked at, and I made the mistake of going through the inbox first. I got pretty disheartened because it wasn't going well. Then today I realised what I was doing wrong. I needed to get the projects in order first. The problem was that I was reluctant to process inbox items because subconsciously I knew that I had no idea what projects they should go into.

So that's my advice (sorry about the word count, I'm a little verbose when I'm enthusiastic). If you're cleaning up after a prolonged absence, the first thing you should do is a review of projects. Probably contexts too, but that can be more of an ongoing thing.

Hope that helps someone...

(just saw the Applying Omnifocus forum - this probably should have gone in there, sorry!)

Last edited by macronencer; 2013-09-15 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Wrong forum?