View Single Post
I moved to Mac several years ago but have to live with Parallels in order to keep using Ecco Pro, which I use in writing books. I would dearly love to move over to OmniOutliner or something like it and get rid of Windows, Parallels etc once for all. But there are some basic things I can't seem to figure out.

For instance, an item in Ecco can be assigned to multiple folders within a column, which is fantastically useful. "Washington was inaugurated in 1789" can thus be placed in folders about "presidential history" and "Washington bio." In fact, I can set things up so that the item is automatically entered in the "Washington bio" folder sheerly because the item mentions Washington.

Another thing I don't get in OO: you have a clipping service, but the clipped text goes into a kind of clipboard limbo without any sourcing attached. In Ecco, the Shooter (in the old days when it worked, sigh) fired clippings from the Web right into an outline *with URL attached.*

Then there's filtering. Where is it? If I have a pop-up column with the values Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, how do I tell the program: just show me all the items designated Blue? The word "filter" doesn't even appear in Help.

Am I overlooking these features somewhere in OO? Would they be so hard to implement? Without a way to quickly filter stuff, and to assign an item to multiple folders/categories/whatever, it's hard to see how I can use OO productively. But I'd love to learn I'm wrong, so any help would be appreciated. Many thanks for helping a newcomer.