View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oschultz View Post
Would be sweet if in the notes section of a task you could outline as if it were an Omnioutliner page. I have a lot of notes to keep along with my projects/tasks and am looking forward to the day that OF offers more note/outline features.
That would be nice. I add lots of notes too.

Another option, perhaps easier implemented, is to just support Mac OS X's standard text view capabilities (NSTextView). This would allow us to do some of the cool things that can be done in apps like TextEdit, Yojimbo, and many others:
  1. Display a formating ruler to change spacing, tab stops, alignment, etc.
  2. Support system-wide saved styles
  3. Autocompletion of text by using the Esc or F5 key
  4. Selection of columns of text by holding the option key and dragging the mouse cursor over some text
  5. Auto-formatted lists with a variety of bullet/number/letter types. To try this out, open TextEdit, hit Option-Tab and start typing. Hit Return to create new list items. Alternatively, select some lines of text and choose a list style from the ruler.

UPDATE - Wow, I just realized that OmniFocus already supports the autocompletion of text (item #3 in the list above). But you just can't use the Esc key to trigger the autocompletion since it's already used to exit editing mode. But F5 works beautifully!

It seems there's partial support for some of the other standard text capabilities as well. Like #4, selection of text columns, you get the proper cursor when holding down the Option key, but it only allows you to select a single line of text.

The same for #5: using Option-Tab creates a single list item, but hitting return does not create additional list items. Nor does there seem to be a way to change the bullet/number/letter type since we have no access to the formatting ruler.

So close, yet so far!

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-05-02 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Updated with new findings