View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Curt, can you clarify exactly what "rich-text attachments" are? I mean, is there something in particular about this implementation that makes them "rich-text" in OmniFocus as opposed to just "regular" attachments? I guess one of the reasons I ask is that I've noticed that dragging a file to a standard Mac OS X text view (NSTextView, I think, like that used by TextEdit and some third-party apps like Yojimbo) results in a similar icon but it doesn't respond to double-clicking or Quick Look. In fact, dragging files to TextEdit seems virtually useless. So the implementation in OmniFocus seems greatly improved over the standard behavior. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.
I'm afraid I don't have much to add. I said "rich-text attachment" to contrast OF attachments from just embedding the URL as text like jklymak was initially trying.

Here's an interesting experiment though: Drag a text file from Finder onto a note in OF, creating a clickable attachment. Then edit the note, copy the contents, and paste it into a new TextEdit document. On my machine the TextEdit document has a clickable text link to the original file. But if I drag the same file onto the TextEdit window, clicking the resulting icon just gives me an error.

So, it looks to me like OF is handling the drop action differently than TextEdit, and is also rendering the rich-text note differently. Maybe Ken or Tim will chime in with a technical description for the coding geeks in the audience. (In all their free time between working on the OF 1.1 release.;-)

Curt