View Single Post
If you say "hmm Turkish IPs send spam" and block Turkish net block, I am not getting here.

There is hardly anyone sitting and spamming forums manually anymore. There are organised spam bots , infected machines dubbed as "zombies" and lets say if 100 turkish infected machines spamming this forum, 1 guy being Omni customer (me) will get effected.

Enable CAPTCHA instead.

IP (block) ban, if not feed from an open, reasonable RBL such as open proxy list, it is extremely risky and may cause harm to Omni groups image forever.

Here is how to ban open proxies from getting account/posting:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=248252

I have been a spamcop.net user since its start and don't let me tell the worst spammers on earth. Americans with infected machines having huge upspeed, Korea and recently Poland. Who are you banning for what reason? 10 spammers?

I maintain a movie actors official site and I had horrible spam from certain countries. Let me ban these blocks? What did the real fan of him do to be treated like that? Even if it is single person?

I love the P2P support idea such as forums, IRC etc. but it has one major risk. Free support people alienate end users and hit the product/company image while developers has nothing to do with it. Don't let so called "supporters" decide what to do for a commercial company.

If I didn't know Omni Group and I wasn't registered, if I went to forums wondering about products and introduced a page accusing my IP block of spamming, I would say "racists" and move along. Sorry to speak too open but there is no better way to explain the horrible risk of IP block banning.

Last year, Gizmo project which is opensource,standards based telephony application got hit by horrible accusations since their genius company banned certain countries from calling because of fraud. The project was doomed. The download numbers dropped significantly.

Also let me add how I became an Omni group customer. I downloaded Omniweb while I was a Mac newbie, I noticed something in Encoding menu, Turkish while being ISO-8859-9 (latin based) language was grouped with Arabic, I politely sent feedback about it saying it may offend some people and when I got a reply like 1 hour later, I said this is the company to buy products for.

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2007-04-07 at 08:29 PM..