View Single Post
Delete letter, delete letter, delete letter, delete project...

I think the status quo of this text-input behaviour is masking just how dangerous and subconsciously unsettling it is.

Yes OmniFocus supports Undo. But I could carry on working without realizing what I've done. Imagine if the Finder worked that way? Who's wishing it would? Imagine in Illustrator: delete object, delete (last) object, delete document and close window. I can't think of a single app that works this way, or a single instance where one would think, "Darn. I wish I could go from deleting text or an object to deleting all my work.

And no, it's not faster, it's slower. The gain of not requiring a modifier key can be measured in milliseconds, and even that's eclipsed the less obvious, but very real need to be careful as you delete text. I have to be careful about it, whereas if I had to hit command-delete, I'd be able to be more carefree within text boxes.

I don't mean to say there aren't valid counter-arguments, but to respond to one: it may uber-fast and l33t the way it is, (not that I agree) but you're a subset of OF users, are you not? Another: "Hm. Not hearing that complaint much." I think it's the kind of thing where users feel like they've done something wrong, and not that the application's constraints are wrong.

Last edited by paulduv; 2010-11-30 at 01:10 PM..