View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4
If you have structured text in a text file, if you keep deleting, the very same thing happens. HTML, XML, C, Applescript, etc. — delete too far, you'll start munching on something else.
Well, yes, but the same key doesn't go from deleting character by character, to deleting the enclosing form, to cycling through keywords and then deleting text again. In text processing, the Delete key generally disregards syntax -- it just goes a character at a time. In OF, if I put the cursor at the beginning of the title field of an action, the delete key changes what it does depending on whether there's text after the cursor or not. If there is text after the cursor in this field, the delete key moves to the last field of the previous action. Otherwise it deletes the whole action, even if there's information in the other fields. (Including, I just checked, the Notes field. I hadn't realized that until now. That's kind of a "Yikes!" to me.) XCode's Delete key, for example, doesn't delete the parameter list and return type if I do one press of Delete past the function's name in a C definition.

Like I said, the most unexpected (or the most spreadsheet/outliner like) thing to me is that sometimes it imitates Shift-Tab. If the Delete key is going to devour the nearest thing behind it that it can, why wouldn't it just skip over the empty Due and Start fields, and start deleting the Context character-by-character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4
. . .your comment about coming from Things illustrates my point about your background influencing whether you regard this as expected or unexpected behavior, no?
Quite true, as I said, and I'm sure that I'll get used to it. It took me a while to learn emacs key commands, too, but I'm glad that I did!