View Single Post
I subscribe to the theory of keeping it simple.... I have one context called "Online" and another called "Mac".

For my offline tasks, I'd just put a task into Mac. If I do need an internet connection, I'll set the task's context to "Online."

Whether it's an iPad, MacBook, or iMac, I prefer to keep the task set to the most relevant context. If I look at a task, I can intuitively know:

"oooh.... I have an internet connection but don't have my iPad. So I guess I can't do this task." When I see that I have my iPad but I don't have a wifi connection, I'll automatically and intuitively know that I can't do this task that has a context of iPad and a context of internet.

I really don't have the need to have multiple contexts. like whpalmer4 said, I already have so many tasks on hand that I don't really have to be picky. I just choose the first task in a particular context that I'm interested in doing. I don't want to look at the iMac context, the iPad context, the MacBook context just to see what my available options are.

I'd just look for the first task that I am interested in doing. I don't have time to go "hmmmm..... now let's spend 10 minutes looking for the perfect task to do." I'd rather just quickly look up my available next actions and get to work......

I know that Things has multiple tags which allows multiple contexts. But I haven't really heard from any Things users who have actually become doubly more productive because they have multiple contexts.

If I had multiple contexts, I would probably be confused and see the same entry in two different contexts.

Just choose a task from your available Next Actions and do it.

Now I can see something like having multiple contexts such a "Home Depot" context and "Bob's Electrical Parts Shop" context. So I might have items that I can only find in Home Depot and there might be some items that I might find only in Bob's Electrical.... I'd probably just put a context called "Hardware Store" and leave it at that. I can be at either Bob's Electrical or Home Depot but I would instinctively know that some parts are at Home Depot and other parts are at Bob's Electrical.

I would probably stick in a Bob's Electrical context nested under Hardware store only if I shop there frequently and need to have a permanent Bob's Electrical context placed in there.

But I guess if OF 2.0 gets multiple contexts, I just won't use it and maybe you'll use it.

I remembered a couple of years ago that I underwent a complete revamp of my GTD setup and finally eliminated and/or combined a lot of contexts in OF. I had so many contexts that it was just making me dizzy and I didn't want to use OF anymore. I can imagine that having multiple contexts would contribute to so many contexts that I'd probably have a mess on my hands.

I'd probably spend so much time thinking of new contexts that I wouldn't really get any work done.

I have as few contexts as I need and I have as many contexts as I need. In my quarterly review, I'll look at my contexts and see what I can eliminate, what I can keep, and what I can combine.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2011-01-25 at 11:31 PM..