View Single Post
OK here's the issue, I suspect it's working as the programmers want it to but it sure looked and felt like a bug to me.

On the Mac if I am in the inbox and I create actions they stay in the inbox no matter whether I add projects or contexts until do a clean-up. I can use my inbox as a gathering place just like a normal paper inbox for all sorts of possibilities. When I process my inbox I get to decide whether I really want to do the item, is it a someday/maybe, does it belong to an existing project, is it really a next action and so on.

On the iPod Touch (and I assume the iPhone) things with a project or a context get automatically dumped out of the inbox immediately as soon as you press save. Those with a context get dumped to a single action list called Miscellaneous. Those with a project but no context go under that project and those with both get assigned immediately to that project & context. I have no option to process my inbox later and then clean it up.

I tried to turn off this behavior but there doesn't seem to be any option.

I consider this a bug. Here are my reasons why. If I create something in the inbox I don't want it to automatically go anywhere until I process it fully. Having stuff get dumped out without my input means I have incomplete items and half formed thoughts suddenly populating my lists and projects. Just because I input something and have some of the data to define it it's not fully processed (in the GTD sense) unless I have all the data on it. I explicitly do that later. On the Mac I almost never use the clean-up option and when I do it has always behaved as I expect it to, moving things as I have defined.

At a minimum I would love an option to turn this behavior off. While I am sure it is helpful to many people for me it was both unexpected and a serious flaw as I was using my iPod to collect possible and optional things and to have them suddenly in the main database of items with no clue where they are was most upsetting. Esp. because I don't use a misc. list so mine was empty until the iPod started populating it with next actions!

I am sending this as feedback to the support folks.