View Single Post
Thanks for the reply sounds good... almost.

Having a project column view to me is the killer feature. Which is why I currently use excel instead of the Omni Outliner. In fact just yesterday I was taking another look at Outliner to see if it was possible to have several columns of side-by-side outlines. (unfortunately no)

The problem is few of us actually have only one project we work on, we have many concurrent projects. If you have tasks in 5 projects, each of equal priority, in multicolumn views you see all high priority tasks at the top side by side. In a single column view they will be drown in the task list of which ever project outlines are at the top, often going off screen so you don't even see the other equally important tasks.

I see the UI implementation as one type of view. If the top level of the outline is the project, then in single column view each project is listed one after another. In multi column view each active project list has its own outline in its own column. Have view switching buttons at the top of the window (like the finder has). In multicolumn view, it may be best to hide most other columns of task information other than title, to keep it from getting messy.

Make it flexible enough so the top level of the outline could be a project class instead of a particular project. Sometimes I'll have a whole project get its own column, and other times where I have a series of small projects, all falling under one type or class of project, I will put then in a single column together.