Thread: two databases
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Have you considered the option of keeping your reference materials as notes on the appropriate action groups or projects? Another alternative would be as separate projects (which you could then handle in the fashion I suggested).
am considering it now.

(later)

ex.1: music productions tips
I have a 'Single-action List' called 'Logic tips'
( Logic is a music application)
In there I have single action 'info' actions which are like FAQs - notes on how to manage various production tasks, such as how to organise sounds, how to manage tempo changes, and so on. Reference materials.

I don't need to review this stuff - it is neither project nor action.

Yes, I could put them into separate notes and they'd be out of inventory but each note would need to be in a parent project, which would remain in inventory = no improvement.

I could put them all into a single note, but then would lose the advantages of database separation.

ex.2 - similar for my annual tax accounting. Lots of individual notes on a range of topics, not all of which are specific to open-ended projects.
eg. the timetable for each annual bookkeeping- final return for the year.
01. Capital Gains ( notes on how to assemble the info and what to do with it)

02. PAYE certificates
03. Install TaxCalc
04.....etc

ex.3: background notes on individual students.

My heirarchy for OF here is:

Teaching (folder)/Student (folder)/coaching (project)/2 x actions

action1: 'homework'/ note = ( updated and printed after each lesson)
action2: 'background'/note = ( parents, phone no. email, history, vision etc)

now, the only moving, flowing items above are action1 and it's note.

I can go on....

From the beginning of my relationship with OF I have expressed concern that
seems to be no way to isolate info-only data. Kind panel members have suggested a variety of solution, but none have yet matched the general ease of use of OF itself.

OF is a wonderful, behaviour-respecting database, and I am increasingly cettain that there is a large 'missing' here: I need the ability to distinguish projects and their actions from background knowledge which may not be immediately relevant, but which needs to be on call at all times.

peter
ex.2: