View Single Post
My idea of cloning is what someone earlier posted in reference to the old outliners MORE and ThinkTank - eg. a copy of a row which can be moved anywhere else in the structure (or even (if this is possible) into another document) in which updates to the original or any of it's clones are reflected in all the clones and the orginal. Subtree's below the clone row are considered part of the clone.

The visual trigger to let the user know this is a clone is just a slightly different icon or row tag at the front of the row. Only the top row would have this indicator, despite the fact that subrows are also technically clones. There could be a command that would show all clones of any row - the outline would expand and all clones of the row that is selected would be highlighted.

Some folks reference smart folders - although I understand the desirability of that feature, smart folders can help with re-organization and visualization, but they don't help with what I need.

As an example, a cloned item may be a single task that is actually part of many projects (assume all projects are represented in the tree on an outline). The task only has to get done once for all the projects yet I want it to be displayed as a sub-task for each of the projects.

Currently, I create a new item for each project but there is no way to link them - mark one completed and the others - which are really the same task - do not show completed. If clones were implemented, that row/task would be shown as completed for any project it appeared in.