View Single Post
Cloning was wonderfully (and unobtrusively) implemented in MORE 20 years ago and was requested for OO way back at version 1. Just follow in every regard the old MORE model for cloning that I would hope all your engineers are familiar with. Note that "Smart Folders" are a different feature request.

Some of the things that I used MORE cloning for included:

Individualizing Construction Specifications.

On every project I wrote individualized versions of boilerplate language for hundreds of topics. One topic might be "Contractor Parking" that consisted of 2-10 paragraphs (out of 30 total paragraphs) indiviualized to the job. The paras desired for a given job would be marked for cloning to a new document. Then after all topics have been similarly reviewed (including adding new paras with every job) all the marked clones were created into a new document with a single click.

After creation the new spec was reviewed for small individual details and insertion of things like global find/replace for things like job name, address, etc. Very cool, very productive. Note that as totally new paras are written they become part of the boilerplate for future jobs as well.

Survey Reports

Again individual boilerplate paragraphs are written. For example there may be 30 different paras on "piping." The appropriate few paras for any given project are simply marked for cloning and then collected into a document with a single click.

Project Planning

An individual project (a business plan for instance) will have different parts that get shared with different people at various points in time. However each individual gets shown different parts of the whole (with lots of overlap). The landlord, for instance, gets shown different parts than does a venture capitalist or a prospective floor manager. Cloning allows the originator to have one place with all thoughts and ideas yet still easily collect portions of the project for presentation to different individuals.

Resumés

One can build a huge multipart resumé and then use cloning to quickly individualize for each individual submission.

MORE facilitated other uses of cloning in addition to the few I listed above. Please, please after all these years give us the cloning we have been asking for.

Thanks!

Last edited by Allen Wicks; 2009-04-17 at 05:14 PM..