Thread: Critical Path
View Single Post
I guess I don't understand the question, or perhaps how you are trying to use the tool.

The critical path is just the set of all the tasks which if changed in duration will change the date of the completion of the project.

If any of the tasks in either Group 1 or Group 2 take longer than planned, the date of the final milestone will be pushed out, so they are all colored as being on the critical path. If I shorten Task 4a or 4b, Group 2 will no longer be part of the critical path. I would expect that in most real life situations, having multiple branches scheduled out to exactly the same duration would be unlikely in the absence of artificial measures to make them that way, so there would only be one true critical path. OmniFocus will show multiple critical paths if they are truly critical paths, as seen in my example. If you have a situation with multiple paths of not quite equal duration (say different in duration by an amount likely to be less than or equal to any likely schedule slippage) yet want to show them all as critical, you could add a fudge action in the paths not labeled critical that you can adjust to make the duration equal and thus get all of the paths shown as critical.

Maybe you can give us a more concrete example, if this doesn't answer your question....