View Single Post
For now, the focus of OmniFocus appears to be an application such as a desktop app or an iOS app with cloud syncing via the Omni Sync Services. It appears that a web version of OF is not in the near future.

Perhaps something else like https://www.nirvanahq.com/ would be better suited?

I'm guessing that you can't use your iPad at work? I have my iPad synced to the Omni Sync Server which in turn connects to my desktop Mac. The iPad made a great conduit to allow me to enter, review, and check off tasks in OF.

Creating a web app is completely different from creating an app for iOS or MacOS. It's not as simple as flipping a switch and telling the compiler to spit out HTML5/CSS/Javascript.

Omni Group has shown great expertise in crafting well designed Mac OS X apps. They had to spend about a year getting their feet wet and create an iOS version of their apps which turned out stunningly well.

It will take another transition for them to even attempt to get a web version of their apps.

Web apps aren't as easy as one may think. Look at Apple as a prime example. They totally blew it with eWorld and MobileMe. Apple even offered to buy Dropbox who refused a lucrative offer. Hopefully Apple has it done correctly with iCloud.

So it will definitely be a long while before a web version of OmniFocus comes around if it ever does. Omni Group will have to change their business model completely to add web services.

Then there is the aspect of how to get paid for the services. It could be assumed that a free model will offer a limited number of projects and tasks and a subset of features. Meanwhile a pro version will offer more expanded features which will probably be based on a subscription model where monthly or yearly payments are required.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-03-26 at 02:36 AM..