View Single Post
Brian has pretty much explained how I have set up a perspective for a 'Today' list in OmniFocus. I also set the View>Availability Filter to Available so that only the tasks that are currently actionable appear in the list. This setting may or may not work for some, depending on one's preferred workflow. I often flag entire projects, especially sequential projects, and only the next flagged action appears in the Today list. When I check off a particular task in a flagged project as done, the next actionable task in the project pops into the Today list.

I also make use of start dates and times, so tasks may appear in the Today list during the day also, so the number of tasks in the list can go up during the day even though I have checked tasks as completed. For this reason, a badge count of my task list would be meaningless to me.

I use the Today list more as a reminder throughout the day of what I need to work on as well as what I want to work on. I still work primarily out of context mode, although a quick look at the Today list may change my priorities. I don't work well with a master 'to-do' list, and the user that wants a Today list that favors a systematic approach to checking off all items on the list may not be comfortable with my approach.