View Single Post
I think the first place to start is with your workflow - there are a wide number of possibilities, but this one works for me...

I use start dates to prevent things appearing before I can do anything with them. I tend to put start dates on items rather than on projects.

I only use due dates for the drop-dead deadlines (and then I usually set the date a few days before and tweak the item text so it is clear what is needed e.g. Finalise and submit tax [Pay B4 27 Jan] )

Proper design of projects and nesting using folders and action groups then enables me to distinguish between 'Stuff' and Next Actions.

At this point I have a huge range of next actions that I could do.

Some stuff, like general calls is routine and I know will get done (Use calendar to schedule call and email checking times)

At the start of the day I review those actions and flag as few as possible to indicate 'do today'. I only schedule stuff for about 1/3 of my 'work time'.

Critical calls/emails might be treated as a special action and flagged.

My aim is to ensure that as far as possible, ALL FLAGGED ITEMS ARE COMPLETED TODAY!.

Of course life happens, so occasionally the first thing tomorrow will be to review/remove the flags on any outstanding flagged actions.

Getting a workflow that works for me has taken a while, and still isn't perfect. Reading on the forums might highlight a few alternative workflows that suit you better.

Critical for me was:
  • simplifying my contexts
  • Using my Diary (or day planner) to 'protect' and 'schedule' doing time - blocks for each flagged item.
  • Selecting one 'task of the day' - this has to be done before I go home/to bed.
  • limiting the number of other 'flagged' tasks to 1/3 of my day (I can always find more stuff to do if I have time after all the flagged items are cleared)
  • Stopping all alerts, email prompts and distractions while I am in 'doing' mode (quit mail and messages apps)
  • Making time to properly plan projects (and action groups inside projects) so that only stuff that can be done is visible.

I appreciate that you will already have invested a fair amount of £ / $ / € on the various versions of OF, however I made significant progress in understanding OF when I invested in Kourosh Dini's eBook.

Good Luck.

BTW - What was question 2? - Please leave the original questions but edit to Include the answer you found - someone else might have the same problem and your solution could save them lots of time.

Last edited by philrob; 2012-11-18 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling