View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
Thanks, fudster. I see your point, but wouldn't it be a lot of extra work deciding which tasks merit an alert or not? (and from a NA point of view, doesn't this come back to the prioritization problem?) And wouldn't you eventually risk "becoming numb" to alerts from OF as well? Especially if they're for the same repeating tasks? Just curious... For me, one of the revelations of GTD was the review system, which even diminished the need for calendar alerts (morning calendar preview), so I'm trying to understand how other implementations work.

I'd like to say I can relate to the "chemicals in the hot tub", but fortunately when I walked in my PI's office the first thing I said was "I like maths", which landed me the sweet, sweet job of analysis (that gets me a free pass on working from a laptop at my preferred coffee shop)... :D

I would not become numb to them if they were disabled by default. If I determined during my review that I actually do need a hard reminder to do one peculiar and particular thing at a certain time, and if OF allowed me to do that with the click of a checkbox, I would use the feature. More precisely, I think I'd use it if I could enable it on the Mac and see the alert on the iPhone (or on both). I think the method of using the iCal calendar would provide that flexibility.

I think one reason I went numb to the (all-or-nothing) alerts was that most of my duedates are for recurring tasks, that are easily renegotiable, because they are agreements I've made with myself.

I actually struggled with some GTD-guilt about using due dates like this (i.e. ascribing due dates to something that's not really hard-landscape), but I don't worry too much about that anymore. This works for me, I'm more effective and dependable from doing it this way. But there have been times I wish I could easily set an alert for a due date though - perhaps three or four times a month.