View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We have no plans for any Android apps at this time. Our plate is very full with our focus on creating great productivity apps for Mac and iOS. It’s never been our goal to reach the widest possible audience; we’ve tried to focus on the technology that we feel is the most compelling. Right now we’re very excited about the Mac and iOS platforms.
I totally get that Ken. I am a software developer and technical lead at a startup, so I understand very very well how much additional platforms can sap from the quality and quantity of your creative output. I won't come here and make light of how much work Android support would be; lord knows we have enough armchair developers shouting from the rooftops what they can accomplish in "a weekend". I agree with keeping the focus (no pun intended) on OS X and iOS.

However that said, I own an Android phone. Even though I live on my MBP, and I pay some overhead in not having the nice Apple integration (gcal vs ical, mail vs gmail, etc), I get much more value out of the Android. One reason is because the cost is much lower (no AT&T lockin), and I can use my unlocked phone internationally with ease. I have wifi tethering anywhere I go with no ridiculous charges. The experience of Android has caught up to iPhone significantly; it's not quite as polished, but on the other hand, it has its own niceties (back button, google maps features, etc). Besides that, I don't like the restrictions Apple places on the AppStore; I feel they're being too greedy, so it's partially a political statement to support Android just to help keep Apple honest in some small way.

So the situation for me is that I love my Mac and I get incredible use out of OmniFocus. However a big part of GTD is how quickly you can get stuff out of your head into your inbox. Being able to enter stuff from my Nexus One would be great because I always have it on hand. As a developer I'll probably figure out some way to jury-rig this regardless. Secondarily, being able to view a context would also be useful for errands.

My pitch for a minimal Android app is that I believe there are a significant number of hardcore mac users like myself, who choose not to have an iPhone for one reason or another. We get 99% functionality out of the main OmniFocus desktop application, but we only get 50% GTD braindump coverage because we don't have our Macs with us all the time. Therefore the ROI for the basic data entry feature is quite high. Give it some thought...