View Single Post
This is sort of a general usability comment.

If I have a search term plugged into the search box, things that might normally be visible are hidden. This is the desired behavior, obviously.

Clearly this is great when you're searching for something, but if you've forgotten that you have something plugged into the search box, it appears that all your information is missing. This has happened to me numerous times. I usually figure it out pretty quickly, but it is sort of jarring.

I think there should be some sort of indication in the main window reminding you that the contents are being filtered by a search term or by a setting in the arrangement bar.

I'm thinking about a small icon showing that a search term is in place and/or a small icon showing that an arrangement bar setting is influencing the contents of the window.

I think the icon(s) should go at the bottom of the main window in sort of a status bar. That bar could also contain, counts for the total number of actions/projects/contexts, number of completed actions, number of next actions, due in the next x period of time, etc.

But, if I'm forgetting to look up at the search/arrangement bar, how will I remember to look at the status bar at the bottom? I don't know if I will. Maybe small icons are the wrong paradigm. Maybe a colored stripe or icons at the top of the window would work better? Maybe something like the inbox cross-hatch shading would work?

I'm interested in what other people think and if they've had this problem too.

Last edited by mloiterman; 2007-07-11 at 07:18 AM..