Thread: Managing Lists
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonC View Post
I keep lists for those types of things too. I would automatically think of keeping them in OmniOutliner, have you ever done this? If so, what made you try Journler for this type of thing, and what benefits do you get over keeping the lists there instead of OO?
I did use OO (I was a Kinkless GTD user before OF, and got to kGTD because I loved OO).

Journler is a different beast. It's geared towards longer writings (it's for journaling...), has some neat features for capturing video, audio, pdfs, etc. so it can act as a repository of your life (the References side of GTD).

But the biggest feature of Journler for me is its smart mailboxes, what they call "Smart Families". http://journler.com/features/full/sm...lies/index.php

Using my Places to... example, I have categories called "Places to go (local)", Places to go (distant)", "Places to eat".

I have a parent folder called "Places to...", that gathers all entries that have a category containing the phrase "Places to ". In this folder I can see *all* the places i want to go at one time.

Within this smart folder is another folder called "... Go", which all the stuff in the category "places to go"; this includes both distant and local places.

Finally, a third smart folder is called "Local", and it is defined as categories with the word "local" in it.

If these weren't "families" of smart folders, the "local" folder would contain any entry that happened to have the word "local" in it ("Places to Eat (Local)", for example).

Instead, I see *only* items that are Places To > Go > Local. What's especially neat is if move this "Local" folder under, say, Places to > Eat, it will populate with all the local places I want to eat, without changing the criteria!