Thread: Managing Lists
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP View Post
The more I think about it really, the less I like the idea, but who knows what the Omni folks will think.

At the very least, such feature would be related to the primary function of OF, as list making is an integral part of GTD.
I think that Omni has a great list-making application already: OmniOutliner (Pro). I keep plenty of checklists in OOP, and I've been linking to them from the notes field of relevant actions or projects. For instance, one of my projects is planning a series of workshops; in the project notes I put a link to the OOP outline with a list of possible topics and presenters. I have lists of habits, checklists for getting my house ready for winter, etc. Part of my weekly and monthly reviews involves going over the relevant lists.

Some of them can be moved into OmniFocus: my someday-maybe list, for instance, though for the moment I find it psychologically helpful to keep it separate. (Putting something into OmniFocus seems to involve a commitment, even if I mark it as on hold.) Others I prefer to keep separate, and if it makes sense, to link to them from OmniFocus. But I can see how others might prefer having lists in OmniFocus, and it would be in keeping with the GTD approach. (After all, the context and project modes are different lists, albeit with the same data.) Still, it seems to me that one of the strengths of OF as it evolves is that its list-manipulating features are being tweaked to the specific needs of a GTD project and action manager. I find it more useful for general lists to use OOP's feature set. (Or NovaMind, for mind-mapping "lists.")