View Single Post
This is one thing I liked about the < 5.5 OmniWeb (pre-WebKit). If you wanted to present a case preserved hostname in the location bar, you could do a redirect from the web server. On the web server's response, the Location: header could contain a mixed case hostname and OmniWeb would preserve that when doing the redirect on the location bar. IE/Mac was also one of the few newish browsers that preserved host casing.

So, now with 5.5, this does not work anymore. Actually this feature seems to be disappearing with modern browsers in general, and so I wondered why this is so? I'm guessing the reason why this feature may have disappeared with OW is due to changes made to support WebKit, as Safari never has been able to do this either. But I've never understood why this feature has been disappearing on new browsers. Does anyone know the reasons for this? As far as I know the HTTP RFCs don't forbid the use of case preservation, but maybe there's some other standard that does impose this requirement.