Thread: Calendar view?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm in general agreement on the "don't schedule due dates unless they are real" notion. The problem that I have is in assessing whether I can reasonably take on another project if it has some sort of deadline or schedule attached. That's definitely a GTD skill that could use some more development in my case! I have yet to envision a tool that could really help me with that problem without having a lot of overhead...
My only solution to that is frequent reviewing, which gives me a good sense of how I'm doing on projects that do have deadlines, and how much progress I am making on those I want to get done but don't have deadlines. If I have a handle on both, or if I can postpone something else without too much regret, then I feel I can take on a new project with a deadline.

Frequent reviews also show me those things that I think I want to get done in the abstract but always find excuses not to do when I look over my context lists. And they make it more likely that I will make a serendipitous discovery. When I run across something related to one of my projects, I'm more likely to note and capture it because the reviews help trigger recognition.