View Single Post
Hi JustRed,

You have got a lot of good advice above. So i'm just going approach your question from a different angle:

I moved from OF to things and back again on numerous occasions finally settling on OF.

Look and feel:

The current version of OF will never look as good or be as easy to use,accessible as Things despite all the themes available. So just get used to it,resign yourself to the default look and it will save you a lot of time. Use the default theme, make the fonts a little bit smaller. The default theme is very practical and readable. Some of the themes on ofthemes.com are just mad and you'll just find yourself messing around loading, unloading themes etc etc

Perspectives:

Very powerful feature. However, one of the major criticisms of OF and a reason why people switch back to Things is because tasks can "get lost" in OF. Which means that the task is in their somewhere but is not coming up on your list (perspective). This happens very easily in OF. So, keep the number of perspective you use on a daily basis to a minimum and be diligent about how you markup your tasks, flags, start dates, contexts. Omnifocus will allow you to "shape" your data anyway you want. But as a result of that you can create your own "bugs". So keep it simple.

Contexts:

As a GTD'er you know the traditional use of contexts. I find them useless. So I've redefined the use of contexts for myself and this has been the biggest "unlocking key" in OF. I don't need tasks that require a phone call to be under the "phone" context. I can work that out for myself.

I have a people:John,Mary etc context for delegation:
I have a waiting for:
I have a Software Development: Coding,testing etc.

But here is the major shift:

All of the above contexts are a sub-context of "LIST" which is a primary context
I have another Contexts called "ACTIVE TASKS" and under that I have a Context Called MIT (most important tasks) and finally under that I have a context for each of the four quadrents in Covey:

Urgent and Important
Important and not urgent etc etc.

Each day I review my "LISTS" context and move items from this into my "ACTIVE TASKS" under whichever context I think is fitting (Urgent and important etc).

I created some perspectives based either on the LIST context or ACTIVE TASKS context. I don't really bother with TODAY perspective. It's more about what's important, urgent, nice if I had time - stuff. It a bit of a mixture of GTD, Covey, Zen-To-Done.

I my workflow, I move tasks between contexts. So contexts for me a fluid.

I hope it gives you food for thought and encourages you to think out of the box. Because you can with OmniFocus and that's the real power within the software.
Don't automatically go down the GTD route because it does not fit everybody. We all have different jobs, lifestyles, personalities. Technology has changed since GTD was written.....

Last edited by gerrymac; 2012-06-27 at 05:17 AM..