View Single Post
I agree with gerrymac. Keep it as simple as needed.

I would create as many perspectives as I need but not more. For example, I have a 2012 summer perspective. When my family returns from vacation, I erase this perspective because I no longer need it.

My core perspectives include

The default Projects Planning and context
Today
Next actions
Review

I'll add a perspective when I need it. Then I'll delete it when I no longer need it.

For your perspective, try changing availability filter from remaining to available.

Set it to remaining if you want to see all the actions that haven't been completed yet.

Set it to available to show only the actions that can be done. Projects that are set to "On Hold" are considered my Someday/Maybe projects. You won't see any actions from On Hold projects when you set availability to available. You also won't see the other actions that can't be completed unless the first next action is completed.

I forgot about start dates. Learn to use start dates and due dates.

Put due dates on projects/tasks that will have adverse consequences if not completed by that date. Don't put artificial due dates.

For example:

Project: Submit tax forms (various actions to complete including collect tax and financial documents, download new 1040 form, send 1040 package to tax preparer, etc.)

Start date: March 1, 2013
Due date: April 15, 2013
Review date: Feb 1, 2013

I don't want to see this tax project in my Next Action perspective until March 1, 2013. It stays hidden from Next Action perspective until that date. I can get a reminder that the tax project is coming up because during my weekly review, I'll see this project show up on February 1, 2013.

Bad stuff happens after this date. That's why I put a due date. Same thing happens if I forget my wife's birthday or anniversary.... *sigh*

Now something like this doesn't need a due date:

Cut grass
Start: next Monday

This task shows up in Next Action perspective next Monday. If I don't cut the grass on Monday, I'll have Tuesday or any of the other following days to do it. Nothing bad happens except an ugly lawn is growing higher and higher.

I would put a due date on it if I am part of a Homeowner's Association where there are fines for not maintaining the yard properly. I would not be eager to pay the fine. So I'd consider putting a due date on this task under this circumstance.

Due dates can be abused easily. Just because you can put them on every project and task doesn't mean that you should. Keep due dates to minimum. Apply only when needed.

If you start to collect a lot of tasks that are overdue, you'll eventually learn to ignore your next action perspective because it is swimming in a sea of overdue tasks. This reduces the significance and impact of the due dates.

Another trick is to learn about sequential and parallel projects. This is something that separates OmniFocus from Things.

Projects can have tasks that must be done in a sequential order or multiple tasks that can be done in a non-sequential order. You'll find a project that requires parallel actions. I often set sub-projects that may have multiple parallel actions inside a sequential project.

Care must be taken when designing projects containing parallel tasks. You'll get it eventually.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-06-27 at 02:04 PM..