View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyte View Post
Do you ever add tasks via email? How do you direct a task to a specific project inside of a folder? What syntax do you use?
I don't use tasks by email. My MBP is my home and work machine so I'm never on-line but away from OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyte View Post
I've also been wondering about abbreviations. The manual indicates you can type the whole project or context or you can use abbreviates. Is there a way to know what abbreviations will work, or do I need to play with it to find one that works?
The way project abbreviations work on the desktop is based on matching a subset of characters in the fully qualified project name, where "fully qualified" means all the folders above the project plus the project name itself. This means that an abbreviation's meaning can change if a new project is added. But the "subset" part of the rule also means that if you have unique project names, you can match them without worrying about the folders. So, I'd suggest playing on the desktop to see what abbreviations match to your deeply nested projects, then just use those abbreviations in your emails, omitting the colon to specify nesting.

As a concrete example, I use folders to separate my areas of responsibility. So I have a folder named Advance and propagate knowledge of computing and another named Help manage our household. Under each folder I have a single actions list to keep miscellaneous tasks. For the example folders, I name these single action list "Singleton actions-Adv" and "Singleton actions-Hous" respectively. Here's why: now the abbreviations "advsing" and "singadv" both match the single action list under my Advance folder. The first abbreviation matches the folder name then the single action list. The second abbreviation matches the single action list directly. So, whichever order my brain spits out, I get the right match.

I do not add the folder-based suffixes to most projects, just when it's needed to make the project name unique.

(Full disclosure: I started using this naming scheme to work around a bug in a very early sneaky peek of OF 1.0. Once the bug was fixed, I found that I liked the redundancy of this naming scheme.)

Curt