View Single Post
Something missing from most of the attempts at a computer-based GTD solution that I have seen (including the most-excellent kGTD ;) ), is an ability to easily plan and review from different "altitudes" —

• 50,000+ feet: Life
• 40,000 feet: 3- to 5-year vision
• 30,000 feet: 1- to 2-year goals
• 20,000 feet: areas of responsibility
• 10,000 feet: current projects
• Runway: current actions

IMHO, having a super-firm grasp of and vision for the higher levels is just as important as being able to determine and track your next actions in appropriate contexts. After all, if you're going to do anything, you ought to make sure it jives with the direction you want your life headed.

If you're not reviewing your 1- to 2-year goals at least biweekly, your 3- to 5-year vision monthly, and your life goals a couple times a year, you leave yourself open to committing time and resources to projects and actions that aren't ultimately fulfilling what you want out of life.

The problem lies in having a system that doesn't visually and functionally allow you to separate these elevations out for review. It lessens the impact of a life goal when it's jumbled in with 100 or more "10,000" foot projects that you are reviewing each week.

On the other hand, it would also be nice to integrate these different elevations so that you can tie your projects and next actions to them, i.e.:

Buy fresh vegetables (next action)<Increase Health and Energy (project)<Run in Boston Marathon (1- to 2-year goal)<Be Healthy and Fit at 100 (Life Goal)

Is this making sense to anyone other than me? :p

Thanks for the forum! I have a feeling this is going to be Omni's best app ever!